Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 7 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Newest Members
Prairieelevator, Robot Rob, Montkone, Jevans, Clayshooter
8395 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,466
Posts36,641
Members8,395
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2641 - 02/15/12 02:25 PM This should make your blood run cold  
Broke_Sheave Offline
addict
Broke_Sheave  Offline
addict

It Don't mean a thing if it aint got that swing.

Cool, Free, Johnny Smith courtesy of NPR..HERE
http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/asc/asc25.smith.asx
#2654 - 02/16/12 06:28 AM Re: This should make your blood run cold [Re: Broke_Sheave]  
Administrator Offline
Administrator
Administrator  Offline
Administrator

Orange County, California
Wow! I can't believe they still attemped to climb out after the elevator started moving up. Passenger stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

#2661 - 02/17/12 03:44 AM Re: This should make your blood run cold [Re: Administrator]  
Vic Offline
jack of all depts
Vic  Offline
jack of all depts

orange county, CA
How did that door get open on the floor above? If it was picked by a "rescuer", why isn't the elevator secured before opening the doors? Why is the elevator moving up?

Why?Why?Why? Aaaaaah!

#2682 - 02/19/12 03:27 AM Re: This should make your blood run cold [Re: Vic]  
elmcannic Offline
addict
elmcannic  Offline
addict

S. Central Utah
F

#2685 - 02/19/12 04:18 AM Re: This should make your blood run cold [Re: elmcannic]  
elmcannic Offline
addict
elmcannic  Offline
addict

S. Central Utah
Don't know what happened above. Anyway, this reminds me that any rescue has it's moments where things can go seriously wrong. This one clearly illustrates a failure to clearly communicate from one party (at the wrong landing), to the other (in the machine room) nearly killing, or seriously injuring the last students to exit. I wonder if there were only firemen at both locations doing what they thought (in their ignorance) was right, or was there an elevator man involved somewhere in this story? Scary video to say the least.

#2691 - 02/21/12 01:11 AM Re: This should make your blood run cold [Re: elmcannic]  
GreenPants Offline
GreenPants
GreenPants  Offline
GreenPants

i have had to drift a few cars recently due to a building switch gear/buss duct failure. making sure that passengers park their ass on the floor until i come get them or they will get hurt is the first thing that i tell them. we also install a gate switch monitor to make sure they are still on the floor. this video should be shown to everyone in a high rise building to scare them into staying put in the elevator.

#2700 - 02/22/12 03:10 PM Re: This should make your blood run cold [Re: GreenPants]  
Vic Offline
jack of all depts
Vic  Offline
jack of all depts

orange county, CA
It's very similar to the death (Nov, 2011?) at Cal State Long Beach, where the elevator was moving with the doors open, during a rescue attempt. This event could easily have ended the same, or worse.

Greenpants- When you say "gate switch monitor", I assume you are not talking only about standard door lock contact monitoring, but rather, a special gate switch monitoring device, that you hang on the controller during a rescue? Like a meter, or a light of some kind?

#2708 - 02/23/12 03:59 AM Re: This should make your blood run cold [Re: Vic]  
GreenPants Offline
GreenPants
GreenPants  Offline
GreenPants

its a otis tool that we hook up to the gate field wires. it has a buzzer and a light to tell you the gate is open. we have one on every high rise job with a brake pick tool for emergencies. otis def doesn't want this to happen. its even in a big red bag lol

#2715 - 02/23/12 08:44 PM Re: This should make your blood run cold [Re: GreenPants]  
Broke_Sheave Offline
addict
Broke_Sheave  Offline
addict

Are you seperately powering the gate circuit for the indicator light to work?

I've had building bus blow up, starter panels melt down, and I kept an old selenium rectifier around for high rise rescue. I rigged it to run single phase which gave me about 180 VDC when plugged into a wall outlet. Then disconnect the brake wires from the controller and hook rectifier to brake wires. Then position a comrade at the next available landing with the hoistway doors open, and communicating with me via phone or walky talky.

Do Not move the car in this method more than about one revolution at a time. Car can get away from you if you do more. I put a knife switch in series with the brake coil as well. Watch out for the ARC..IR is hell on that collapsing field of that big ass brake coil.

I've only had to do it twice in about 35 years, but it did work, and it is memorable.

I ask about the indicator light on the gate circuit, because the old method I used, as described above when dinasours walked the earth...The control was powered down.

#2718 - 02/23/12 11:57 PM Re: This should make your blood run cold [Re: Broke_Sheave]  
uppo72 Offline
addict
uppo72  Offline
addict

hey broke, im sure this light/buzzer system is not seperately powered bc if it was it may short the car door. the other brake lifter you described i would never use. whats wrong with using the mechanical brake lifter?

Last edited by uppo72; 02/23/12 11:58 PM.
#2721 - 02/24/12 03:06 PM Re: This should make your blood run cold [Re: uppo72]  
Broke_Sheave Offline
addict
Broke_Sheave  Offline
addict

Didn't have them back when I was in the field for a 269 or 319 machine..(BIG gearless (Like each shoe weighing around 6 to 8 hundred pounds..)

If the controller power is shut down, I just figured you would have to seperately power the gate circuit for an indicator lamp in the circuit to work.

It is cool reading about what you guys are doing nowadays...

#2722 - 02/24/12 03:22 PM Re: This should make your blood run cold [Re: Broke_Sheave]  
Broke_Sheave Offline
addict
Broke_Sheave  Offline
addict

I have lost it very few times on the job. But I distinctly remember being called to help out on a high rise job with trapped passengers in a blind hatch. I walk into the machine room and find the route "Mechanic????" and 2 other brethren watching this "Mechanic????" attempt to loosen spring tension on a 219 machine. (Passengers were about 20 floors down in a blind hatch, on a 70 story building..)...

Luckily he didn't have a big enough pair of channel locks, and had instead loosened all the adjustements so the brake would not pick, when I finally hunted down my rectifier box.

Yes...I lost it....I cursed him, and offered to duke it out with him, and the other 2 guys standing around watching this fiasco, fixing to happen. Don't know why I wasn't a popular fixture on that job after that..LOL...

#2725 - 02/25/12 03:04 AM Re: This should make your blood run cold [Re: Broke_Sheave]  
GreenPants Offline
GreenPants
GreenPants  Offline
GreenPants

you disconnect both field wires to the gate switch. the box has a battery to power the light and buzzer. this situation a buss duct and switchgear melted down. no main line or generator or lights in the machine room. drifting cars via PPT tape marks to get to floor level. happened 3 time in a month in the building.

#2726 - 02/25/12 04:06 AM Re: This should make your blood run cold [Re: GreenPants]  
Broke_Sheave Offline
addict
Broke_Sheave  Offline
addict

That's kind of what I thought...Thanks GP!!!

#2727 - 02/25/12 09:27 AM Re: This should make your blood run cold [Re: Broke_Sheave]  
uppo72 Offline
addict
uppo72  Offline
addict

jeez i cant believe a mechanic would loosen the brakes like that. just down right criminal.ive only worked on upto 60 floor buildings and all machines had a mechanical brake lifter(code required), all makes needed them. in fact our training never had us us any other way including otis internal brake arms.i can see what you mean about real heavy brake systems but ive never seen them.1 thing i will say is that stuck passengers will always be safe in the car. it must be stressed to new mechanics/apprentices that not to rush to release passengers and think about the situation.

#2737 - 02/27/12 12:00 AM Re: This should make your blood run cold [Re: uppo72]  
Broke_Sheave Offline
addict
Broke_Sheave  Offline
addict

Yep UPPO..I walk in and see this "Seasoned Mechanic??" and 2 T.M.'s, and the building manager, surrounding the "Seasoned Mechanic" while he tried to get a pair of 420 channel locks, on the spring tension nut...Sorry...But I just lost it...

And then there was the time I went on an overtime call back. Call was severe leveling problems. Old Otis slim line stuff..Car was in service when I arrived. Rode the car to the top and it did a buffer test. let me out then closed the doors and went about it's merry old way picking up passengers...

I'm thinking "What the Hell?" as I ran up to the machine room. Caught the elevator and pulled the the knife switch. Looked down and seen a bright yellow jumper, jumping out the entire safety ciruit. Removed the jumper, fixed the elevator, I can't remember but I think I recall an HX contact on the selector. Then I just sat in the machine room and boiled on a not so slow simmer...

Call me a snitch, goon, etc..Don't really give a damn. I marched into the bosse's office the next morning and embedded the jumper in a wall, from throwing it. Then I told him the entire story.

He called the guy in, and he admitted he had put the jumper on the car because he got tired of having to get the car off the limits. He was fired immediately...

I will say my old boss called EVERYONE in that afternoon, and embedded the jumper in the wall again, and explained to ALL, why so and so wasn't here anymore, and the same fate would fall to anyone in his employ if they thought this was good troubleshooting practice...

I know people forget and stuff happens. Hell I was doing some re-adjusting on a car, and after I got home I talked myself into the notion that I had left the bottom final jumped out. I got into the car and drove 30 miles back to the job at midnight to check it. It wasn't on, but I could finally get back to sleep when I got back home....

I know about those kind of things, but when I see just see sheer stupidity and laziness, I just can't stand it, when it comes to safety. Fortunately 99.99% of the guys out there do give a damn about this stuff. This should be evident by my rant, that I've only blown up like this 2 times in 34 years...But when you see it 1st hand it just makes my blood run cold...

#2738 - 02/27/12 02:47 AM Re: This should make your blood run cold [Re: Broke_Sheave]  
uppo72 Offline
addict
uppo72  Offline
addict

yeah broke, we are human and we make mistakes. we all have maybe forgotten to remove shorts from time to time(not just on the safety ccts) and then pannic when you realise the mistake. i too have done a return to job run thinking a short was on the safety ccts but proved wrong. the guy you describe has down right committed lifty suicide thinking its ok to short the whole thing out. utter madness. this is why we always teach our kids to ASK questions and dont worry about the whether its a dumb 1. all the best mate.

#2739 - 02/27/12 04:11 AM Re: This should make your blood run cold [Re: uppo72]  
Vic Offline
jack of all depts
Vic  Offline
jack of all depts

orange county, CA
In November, a woman was killed in Long Beach, partly because a mechanic had the door locks jumped out.

First, I heard he was in jail, and unable to live with himself.

Evidently, he made bail, because a couple of days ago, the next thing I hear, was that he jumped off a building to his death, such was his feelings of guilt.

#2745 - 02/28/12 12:17 AM Re: This should make your blood run cold [Re: Vic]  
uppo72 Offline
addict
uppo72  Offline
addict

i know how i would feel.

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.