Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rev1), 16 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Newest Members
Prairieelevator, Robot Rob, Montkone, Jevans, Clayshooter
8395 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,495
Posts36,783
Members8,395
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#29093 - 04/18/20 01:39 AM Potential newbie questions  
AllupsNodown Offline
stranger
AllupsNodown  Offline
stranger

I would like to start off and say thanks in advance for all the input and help.

(Atlanta Georgia Area)

Honestly just trying to get a feel for and what to expect in this profession. Iam an electrician by trade for the last 15 years, then got a wild hair in my butt and figured I'd go and become a firefighter in my mid 30's. About a 1 1/2 in the fire service so far and am already thinking I've made a mistake. Long story short, the local in my area just opened up accepting applications and I've applied.

Any advise, warnings, praises, do's-donts, expectations, reality, are all welcomed. A few questions I would like to have answered are...

1) realistically, generally speaking how steady is this trade with in reason.

2) opinion about companies. Meaning who should I strive to work for if the opportunity comes available. Are larger companies better or are smaller ones in this industry better.

3) service side or construction side? I really would like to get on with a company and work almost as much overtime as possible while iam still young and want to. Also the work conditions and hours of each.

4) the taboo one, realistically how much can one expect to earn annually in this career. (Atlanta Georgia)

5) how does the mileage rate and perdiem work. Seen it on the locala website where it says 25miles away, 50 miles away and 1 night, 2 nights etc. How does that work? Does this only apply if your working out of town? If so what is out of town? So many miles from local or from your home or if your working for a different local.

6) if i.get hired on what can I do to be the best that I can possibly be, what's expected of me outside of the normal. Or what can I do to shine.

Thanks and be safe out there.

#29094 - 04/18/20 04:43 PM Re: Potential newbie questions [Re: AllupsNodown]  
Skycap Offline
Skycap  Offline

I'm within my first year in the trade so I can help guide you on some of these. I still am not 100% is we're allowed to talk about per diem and pay since this isn't a union site so I'll err with caution and begin with check your state labor and industries website or google "Georgia state apprenticeship programs" and see if your state has a list with the booklets explaining each apprenticeship.

1) From speaking to mechanics if your in Construction there will be times of layoffs seems to be every 4-6 maybe a little longer years or so. That's in Seattle.

2) Getting in is the most important. Work for whoever you get called to work for. Ups and downs to both. I work for a big company. Lots of work, lots of construction, lots of repetition. But it's good to start there, you learn how to put everything together and how it works and why it works (if you ask the right questions) Some guys getting in around me work for a small company and they do adjusting and mod jobs. Still have a lot of work, is it guaranteed for as long? I couldn't tell ya. More availability to move around the states with a big company also. Easier to transfer.

3) If you want OT, Construction is where you want to be. 7 days a week is not unheard of. Construction will be cold, wet, hot, wet, dry, hours could range from 4-10s to 7-? the sky is the limit. Service, mod, repair. Working in existing, running buildings. Can only make noise at certain times of day, hot - you're in a heat tunnel. more regulated schedule 4-10s, 5-8s.

4) Ill refer you to your state apprenticeship site.

5) Mileage/Zone/Per diem. Mileage is if you have to travel between job sites or destinations during the day in your vehicle./ Zone is to help pay you for traveling within a certain amount of miles from a set location. SO kind of a "set mileage if you work in here" pay./Per diem is a pay for working outside the furthest zone set. Refer to your local page and/or state site.

6) Listen - You will learn things that you're not able to comprehend when you're being asked to do them. So follow instructions and listen to your mechanic.
Ask Questions at appropriate times - Goes along with first - Ask after the task is complete before starting something new, or at break, etc. Learn when your mechanic wants these
questions.
Channel Locks, Tape measure, 11-in-1 Screwdriver, Pocket Knife, Sharpie, Pencil, Notepad. Bring all of these, your mechanic will supply the rest.
Leave your phone in your pocket.
Hard work, showing up early, cleaning when down time. Just be a good worker and able to learn.

Good luck

#29095 - 04/18/20 07:06 PM Re: Potential newbie questions [Re: Skycap]  
AllupsNodown Offline
stranger
AllupsNodown  Offline
stranger

Good deal thanks for all of that. Be safe out there. 👍

#29097 - 04/19/20 02:52 AM Re: Potential newbie questions [Re: AllupsNodown]  
hog451 Offline
hog451  Offline

Skycap has made some good points I'd like to offer more:

1.) Layoffs happen. Mod and Construction would be the most volatile. Service not so much, but you would be very hard pressed to be in service immediately. Probies get laid off first thats anyone who is in their first year in the trade. Then Transient workers, guys from other locals working. Then they lay off apprentices. Then mechanics.

2.) Work is work. Small companies can be just as, if not, busier than the big 4.

3.) Construction is the place for OT. Service and mod? not so much. But I will tell you this: Be prepared to be treated like a dog. If you aren't prepared to be someone's bitch then you might not last long in this trade. You are a moron until you prove to us otherwise.

4.) Atlanta if I'm not mistaken is $42.72 /hour mechanic's scale. Your first 6 months is at 50% scale so $21.36. First year apprentice is 55% 2nd year is 65% (you must complete a year of schooling) 3rd (another year of schooling) 70%; 4th(last year and until you pass the mechanics exam) 80%. However, if you are worth a crap you could be temporarily put out as a mechanic after 1750 hours in the trade and one year of schooling complete. This is the TM position it's full scale. Atlanta is a busy local from my understanding and this can happen there. Then again you might be useless and never get scale but the dreaded 80% paperwork when you have your mechanics card but your company doesn't think you can be a mechanic they'll make you sign it or go to the bench.

5.) Mileage is the IRS rate .58 cents a mile. Its from job to job. Not a daily thing in construction or mod. Your local will have an agreement with the companies in regards to zone pay, per diem, out of town stays and the distances that are required for eligibility.

6.) Do what you are told. Do not be a wise ass. You will have to do most if not all the heavy lifting. Figure out the rhythm of the job. Write Crap down. If you're told 42" it is 42" not 42 and 1/64th" You're going to get yelled at, or worse not. If your mechanic tried to tell you to do better and you tell them that it's just their perspective then well there's not much for you in this trade. Also, don't go bitching to other mechanics about your mechanic it'll come back to bite you in the ass.
Also, leave you phone in your car. if you have an important phone call: tell your mechanic. I have seen a mechanic go off on a guy who was on the phone with his lawyer.

If you have any other questions you can DM me

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit