Who's Online Now
1 registered members (MX4), 8 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Newest Members
Prairieelevator, Robot Rob, Montkone, Jevans, Clayshooter
8395 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,466
Posts36,640
Members8,395
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33262 - 06/17/22 04:17 AM The Times They are a Changin'  
Hoff76 Offline
stranger
Hoff76  Offline
stranger

Hello all, I'm a maintenance supervisor for elevators and escalators in a metropolitan transit system on the east coast. It's a civil service position and while it does not pay as much as the outside unions, it does have benefits such as amazing time off / vacation and medical, and steady work. The pay has come up in recent years though.

I'm on the job 15 years, I've done a few different types of jobs, and I have seen many changes for the worse, I want to know if any of you see the same thing. I was under the assumption that as elevator/escalator mechanics we don't get paid for what we do, we get paid for what we know. But the management I've experienced of late has a different mindset. They don't want anyone to have an "easy day" they want you to sweat and bleed from the time you punch in until you punch out.

It is a dangerous craft we are in, we aren't digging ditches we are maintaining and troubleshooting, running ropes, or step chain, and pulling steps, riding on top of cars, adjusting doors, going into elevator pits with HIV needles, just to name a few, not to mention working in a dangerous city where the local clientele abuses the machines. The management I have now, with some of the questions I get on a daily basis about my team's performance, you could do nothing but assume they've never done the job as a mechanic.

I know there's a lot of bosses out there that never did the jobs they are managing, but we can't afford to have that in this craft.

#33309 - 06/29/22 10:12 PM Re: The Times They are a Changin' [Re: Hoff76]  
elmcannic Offline
addict
elmcannic  Offline
addict

S. Central Utah
Hoff,

You can stop wondering. YES we’ve seen changes over the last 10 plus years which has impacted a number of service, repair and construction members which in some cases drove them out by virtue of willful choice and into a fully vested and qualified (age+years in) retirement. Essentially management has been playing the game such as you describe for quite a while. Do more with less can quickly add up to stress, anxiety and unfortunately accidents.
“Just get it done!” but by all means adhere like a latex glove to all safety protocols. I cannot answer to the last two years which no doubt has been the worst as far as companies hanging on to their profits (which can drive the push to get it done quicker mentality) but the “get it done with less” mantra was laid out decades ago, and that philosophy tends to deepen in time especially with bean counters who’ve never worked in this trade but convinced management they’re fit for the job and get the luxury of being your boss- good or bad. We in the field get paid for what we both know and do.
I’m curious though…..you have a decent benefit package, and if I read correctly you’ve got more hands on training than most any applicant for a new hire position. But you’re concerned as well. The only way I can think to combat a pushy ignorant boss is to simply tell them like it is. Invite them to come see first hand what you guys do in the field. Get them to leave their cushy little cubicle and experience the real world of what you do. And offer them gloves and safety glasses so they can help! The IUEC has and will continue to fight on members behalf for safety related issues, wages, health benefits, retirement and 401K enrollment and Union representation if needed in a number of personal or work situations. If this sounds like a better deal talk to the Union business manager in your states city jurisdiction. Most likely they’ll at the very least listen to you and give you some great insights.
With the way things are today across the service industry spectrum, you’d probably feel maybe a bit less pressure, but that’s just a guess on my part not knowing you personally. So, if you’re so inclined, reach out to the local and just talk to them. No harm, no foul. But, I don’t want to assume that you’re “looking” to jettison your city job, but thought I’d do my best to give you my retiree’s perspective of what’s on (or was on) this side of the fence.

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit