Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 17 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,503
Posts36,820
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#3576 - 05/17/12 06:26 PM Question about code requirement for elevator phone  
sreja Offline
stranger
sreja  Offline
stranger

Hi all,

I have a question about the code requirements in ASME A17 regarding two-way communication device for an elevator that I cannot figure out.

We are a 12 unit (5 floor) residential condominium in Illinois, with a beautiful old 1929 Otis Traction elevator.

I understand that there are a set of new upgrades that we must have performed by 2015, including emergency lighting, two-way communication, pit ladder, stop switch, etc.

What I'm having a hard time understanding is the specific requirements of the two-way communication and how it relates to ADA stuff.

My impression from reading the ASME stuff is that we *MUST* have a two-way communication system (phone), but that it's not REQUIRED to be ADA compliant (our entries aren't ADA compliant for example). If that's true it would mean that we could install a non-ADA compliant phone in the elevator that was period appropriate, or at least start out by doing so (for example putting in a normal desk phone).

But it may very well be that ASME (or Illinois?) is stating that the (normally just a guideline) ADA code requirements are being mandated as part of the ASME code as strictly required, and that we absolutely must be compliant with it by 2015.

I understand that perhaps the smartest thing might simply be to install an ADA compliant elevator phone regardless of the rules. But at this point i've become really curious about the answer to this question and the building has expressed an interest in starting out as a first step by simply putting a phone jack in the elevator and putting a normal phone in the elevator -- for both aesthetic and cost reasons.

So my general question is -- must we meet ADA requirements to be compliant with state elevator code? And specifically, would putting a dedicated telephone line and standard phone in the elevator be compliant?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts
-sreja

#3578 - 05/17/12 10:50 PM Re: Question about code requirement for elevator phone [Re: sreja]  
Robert Krieger Offline
Robert Krieger  Offline

Camarillo, CA
You are so blessed to live in the same town as Tom Sybert of CJ Anderson and Company. I am confident his company can come up with a custom Car Operating Panel that will fit in with your classic Elevator while being fully functional with the latest code requirements. There are a number of options with regards to a standard or a ring down line. A Phone with out a handset really cuts down on vandalism to your elevator and does a great job. I think Tom can help you with that selection as well.
A dedicated line is required. Please think long and hard about having the phone dial to an answering service in New York or Missouri. Any time an emergency elevator phone goes to music on hold, its a bad thing. I sincerely believe a local company will work harder for you and to keep your business. http://smartelevatortech.com/RetractaLadder.htm has a great ladder for the pit of your elevator.

Respectfully,

Robert L Krieger Jr.

#3628 - 05/21/12 02:24 PM Re: Question about code requirement for elevator phone [Re: Robert Krieger]  
sreja Offline
stranger
sreja  Offline
stranger

I've actually talked with Tom before this (unfortunately we are several hours from CJ Anderson; but they do have beautiful stuff).

But regardless, this doesn't get at my question, which is about what the new elevator code *MANDATES* in terms of ADA compliance of the two-way communication device (phone).

I remain confused about whether the elevator phone in a 12 unit residential condo *MUST* conform to ADA guidelines (regarding height, voiceless identification, etc.), or whether such ADA things are treaded like the rest of ADA -- not strictly required and handled on a case-by-case basis.

Anyone?

#3629 - 05/21/12 03:48 PM Re: Question about code requirement for elevator phone [Re: sreja]  
jkh Offline
4 Ever Learning.
jkh  Offline
4 Ever Learning.

Sreja

You may want to go directly to who enforces the code in your State.

Make good choices,

JKH
#3759 - 06/01/12 09:08 PM Re: Question about code requirement for elevator phone [Re: jkh]  
Smitty Offline
bangyourheadhere
Smitty  Offline
bangyourheadhere

Annapolis Md.
Maryland requires the two way emergency communication devices now as well.
There is a unit we put in that works with the K-tech ADA phones that allows an emergency personnel to pick up that phone and talk directly to the person in the elevator. I can't remember the name of the unit off hand but I'll check and get back to you. The only hitch if I remembered correctly is that all the phone units had to be on the same service line. That was a grey area for awhile since they were requiring each elevator to have it's own dedicated line which was stupid.

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit