Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 20 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,513
Posts36,869
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36602 - 01/18/24 02:35 PM Federal Elevators  
Vince Offline
stranger
Vince  Offline
stranger

Hello:
I have a client that has a Federal Elevator with a PLC and they bottomed it out.........likely either setting off the plank switch or the lower final limit switch.
Does anyone have experience with this type of elevator? Just trying to lift it off its switches by contactor direct drive doesn't work. There must be some sort of valve bypass to allow this to to work. I don't work much on Federal Elevator units but am asking if someone has experience.
Thanks
Vince

#36604 - 01/18/24 03:38 PM Re: Federal Elevators [Re: Vince]  
JJR Offline
journeyman
JJR  Offline
journeyman

If the switch is connected directly to the controller, which it should be, you could just use a jumper. Just make sure you remove it when done!

#36605 - 01/18/24 06:04 PM Re: Federal Elevators [Re: JJR]  
Vince Offline
stranger
Vince  Offline
stranger

Thanks for your thoughts JJR, I had thought that may work, but as direct drive the pump via contactors, shouldn't that make bypassing the safety switches irrelavent? But on thinking of this, of course the PLC thinks something is not correct and thus does not allow the Blain valves to work properly. So you are likely right, I had thought this, but then the time needed via schematics was a crux for me. As per your thoughts, my thought for this specific type of elevator was......if I bypass all safeties with a jumper, then the PLC would think all is fine and thus allow a temp bypass so the coils would work, then putting in a Temporary call to the PLC to raise the unit..........thus allowing me to visually examine/reset the switches. You may very well be correct, I was then hoping with this post , that someone had experience with this type of unit, that the maker had some type of logistics that would perhaps put the PLC in this temp safety bypass mode............as they all tend to be proprietary via PLC, would be an easily coded by PLC input code bypass, but I am thinking I need to revert back to my old school methods and not need to fool around with tricking the PLC via programming but by jumpers only. The only crux for this, for me, is, any owners think these are simple solutions, thus the more time to jumper out...........they are cheap as what we come across this type of thing (being residentiaI). But I think you are right. Thanks for your time. But if any others have experience with Federal Elevators, let me know your thoughts, opinions, etc.
They likely didn't have the coding put into their PLC to allow this method to be done by simple PLC over-riding of safety systems, and thus I need to do it via jumpers.

Last edited by Vince; 01/18/24 06:24 PM.
#36658 - 01/25/24 01:09 PM Re: Federal Elevators [Re: Vince]  
Vince Offline
stranger
Vince  Offline
stranger

At the end, I solved the issue, and this may help others. Thus this forum. This unit uses the PLC DirectLogic DL06.
First: to perform any PLC reset, you need the DL06 coder interface. Or else, you are dead in the water.
Second: their "plank or final limit switch/or low oil pressure safety" need attention as I had expected, their final limit switch is a self resetting unit, (one of my main concerns as sometimes manufacturers use manual reset switches rather then self resetting switches.........thank goodness they use a self resetting final limit switch). thus your main concern is to drive up the unit so that safety is released.
To do this: from the main coil box that is on the pump unit............jump out the "low oil sensor"........easily done by just making sure the inputs via this circuit is in continuity. The labels are well described inside that coil box.
Second: you must find on the main controller: a 24 volt DC supply line, which is in the lower right corner of the controller unit.
Third: you are best to disconnect the PLC output line to the "slow speed uprise coil" , and when you are pushing the pump contactors , then you give your 24v DC power to that slow speed up coil........and because you had jumped out the low oil presure switch, your unit gets pressure and is lifted off the "down final limit switch", which is self re-setting.
Do all of this while having controller board in "temp" setting, and PLC switch in either "stop or temp" setting.
That way, when you do the final PLC reset, all is in proper sequence for doing this reset.
Very important: after doing a PLC reset and setting the PLC in "run" positon". You must put in a call from a higher floor above. A simple "up" call. If you do a lowest level call...........the unit will just bottom out.......guess their programming issue. So put in an UP call after PLC reset.
I hope this may help someone that is dealing with this type of unit. I tend to think they keep this "in house", as the sequence is very important for this model to make sure the PLC inputs are all completed in correct order so that whatever coding they instructed their PLC to perform in programming reset are satisfied. The UP call sequence is important after the PLC reset.
Cheers
Vince

Last edited by Vince; 01/25/24 01:25 PM.

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit