Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 10 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Newest Members
Prairieelevator, Robot Rob, Montkone, Jevans, Clayshooter
8395 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,468
Posts36,648
Members8,395
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4796 - 10/07/12 12:49 PM Re: T III [Re: Broke_Sheave]  
uppo72 Offline
addict
uppo72  Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: Broke_Sheave
Short bit of history.

Swift was founded in the early 80's by a engineer, salesman extraordinaire, ex-Westinghouse/Millar engineer, by the name of Jean Pierre. The control that came out 1st was the Swift 5000. Available in either drive (GE300 or Generator) Configuration.

Dover and Otis put in several of these under a naming convention.

Otis = ModMaster
Dover = MicroModernizer 2 (MM2)

Both are identical to the Swift 5000 but with a name change.

Dover at the time was struggling to come up with a competitive Microprocessor based elevator. All they had to compete was the T2.

A deal was struck, allowing Dover to purchase copyright on all software, and hardware from Swift, and thus was born the T3, which for a few modifications is identical to the Swift 5000.

Dover which turned into Thyssen, still uses the same labeling convention for I/O's to this day on their elevators, and has purchased Swift outright for non-proprietary modernizations.

question broke. why would otis need to install someone else's gear? cost?

#4797 - 10/07/12 12:52 PM Re: T III [Re: Smitty]  
uppo72 Offline
addict
uppo72  Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: Smitty
Cool history. Now let me add to it. Before Jean Pierre founded Swift he worked for Millar Industries in New York. They had put his IBM SBC8825 processor board system on top of really what was Thames Valley relay controls. They called the equipment CVT (computerized vertical transportation) Hmmm. as to the Computerized Elevator Controls.All of the parameters were very very similar to Swift.. for example ASU (automatic setup)command used to be PSU (program setup). ACR (acceleration rate) used to be ACC. And so almost all the commands were changed by one letter. Sort of the difference between Spanish and Portuguese. Instead of the PMI cards they had racks with rows of modules such as Status Input, Status Output, Digitizer etc. They had a handheld tool that was a real pain to use although the Tandy computer worked on this as well. Westinghouse marketed it as an overlay product known as Macroscan, or Microscan. When I used to work for Millar we put in CVT stuff. We didn't work on Swift because at the time the two companies were in court under patent infringement issues. Jean Pierre won out and ended up making a much better controller. T III is basically a blue Swift 5000 cabinet with a Dover operator and a slightly different leveling unit.

we used westinghouse running gear on agreement years ago but we also had a scanner used on landing button inputs/up and down peaks and call dispatch. is this the microscanner you talk about?

Last edited by uppo72; 10/07/12 12:53 PM.
#4800 - 10/07/12 04:26 PM Re: T III [Re: uppo72]  
Broke_Sheave Offline
addict
Broke_Sheave  Offline
addict

Uppo...
Otis put in the Swift and renamed it for jobs that required, a total Made in the USA clause..(IE government) or that specifically spelled out NON-Proprietary..

And Smitty..You got it.

I've worked on the Microscan's of that vintage. Also the 8825 SBC could be bought off the shelf from Intel, and could then be used by developers for design purposes. The Westinghouse Epoch 1 control, uses the 8825 SBC as well.

It Don't mean a thing if it aint got that swing.

Cool, Free, Johnny Smith courtesy of NPR..HERE
http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/asc/asc25.smith.asx
#4811 - 10/08/12 09:53 PM Re: T III [Re: uppo72]  
Smitty Offline
bangyourheadhere
Smitty  Offline
bangyourheadhere

Annapolis Md.
The ones I worked on that were on the Westinghouse equipment were really a car control and dispatcher that could be switched over if needed to the old dispatcher. Neat idea but dubious as to if would work since the old dispatcher probably sucked in the first place. Otherwise you would have not sold the mod. We had a few flavors of the CVT product. Some of them used an Amicon generator regulator, some a Valuetrol drive( analog GE drive) and later they went to the GE DC300E drive. They also later incorporated a small computer running UNIX as a primitive artificial intelligent dispatcher. The idea was sort of a data matrix storage in 15 minute increments in which the car would compare what it did a day or week ago at the same time. I am not convinced it actually learned anything but I did learn UNIX because of it which was a good thing.

#4814 - 10/09/12 01:34 AM Re: T III [Re: Smitty]  
elevatedone Offline
elevatedone  Offline

Where is the smiley for banging my head on the wall????

I was reading through the log (yes we kept a log of everything everyone has done),and I noticed a basic thing that hadn't been done.

Routine the controller,tightened all the connections.
This has been a simple tool I have used over the years.

I found a bunch of loose connections on all the brake resistors.
If I can get a couple of turns with my tweeker,it's loose!!!

I will see,but I do believe it is the root of my problem.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit