Who's Online Now
1 registered members (JJR), 22 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,513
Posts36,870
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#15345 - 11/07/15 03:52 AM Re: Dirty Little Tricks [Re: billvator]  
Jcjmowrey Offline
enthusiast
Jcjmowrey  Offline
enthusiast

Atlanta ga
I know that controllers with a modem hooked up to the cpu are there to send emails to the company or technician about faults being logged or information about performance ( like the Vista monitoring unit on tk controllers). Is it true that when a company like tk losses the service contract, someone from that company can log onto the cpu from a remote location and cause the cpu to shutdown and/or change parameters that will cause other problems?

If all else fails, read the instructions
#15346 - 11/07/15 05:40 AM Re: Dirty Little Tricks [Re: Jcjmowrey]  
pdq1600 Offline
pdq1600  Offline

saskatoon, sk, ca
clear tape on the old Otis interlocks.

#15350 - 11/08/15 08:24 PM Re: Dirty Little Tricks [Re: pdq1600]  
christycollett Offline
addict
christycollett  Offline
addict

Monterey, CA
Never against our Brothers but the other Trades were fair game.

Working a job a hundred or so years ago when the plaster boss informed us he wasn't going to clean up our car & cwt frames sitting in the pit. "Not in my contact' You guys should have covered it up before I went to work. Guy was a real dick. The next day my mechanic showed up with a small paper bag. Asked him what was in there and he said "Just watch" about that time the gut wagon had shown up so all the trades headed for their "Minimum Daily Requirement" of a substance known as "Textured Vegetable Protein" combined with some type of meat that the FBI crime lab in Washington DC has been trying to identify for the last 20 years. It gets all wrapped up in flour tortilla in a factory over in the "City of Industry" and sent out the back door as a Ramona Hand Wrapped Burrito. Well anyway back back to the story. John said said "come on" we headed to ware the plaster guys were working and there sat a full wheel barrow of brown coat. John dumps the contents of the paper bag and told me to mix up up with one of the hoes that has two holes in it. Off to lunch, what was in the bag I asked John, his reply with an ear to ear grin, "Rye Grass Seed."

#15351 - 11/08/15 11:40 PM Re: Dirty Little Tricks [Re: Broke_Sheave]  
traction Offline
traction  Offline

Originally Posted By: Broke_Sheave
Fuji
Change software to disable diagnostics upon leaving the job.

Kone.
Changing a bit in LCE to turn off display.

Schindler and TK..
Old stuff Miconic V and T3, T4 type stuff.
Changing passwords on the diagnostics as they walk out.

I can remember a time when you found out you were going to lose a job you FIXED all nagging issues, and lost the job looking brand new. Your reputation was at stake.

Now days the new thinking is to leave as many problems as you can, and sabotage the equipment on the way out the door.

What Happened????

This sounds like slander to me, are you saying these companies do this, or that this can be done on thier equipment?

#15353 - 11/09/15 03:20 PM Re: Dirty Little Tricks [Re: traction]  
Jcjmowrey Offline
enthusiast
Jcjmowrey  Offline
enthusiast

Atlanta ga
I'm saying that I've heard rumors that this can be and has been done by companies. I've had a couple of instances where problems that have occurred could be easily explained by a company doing this and I would like to know if anyone else has encountered a similar situation.

If all else fails, read the instructions
#15358 - 11/10/15 12:29 AM Re: Dirty Little Tricks [Re: Jcjmowrey]  
traction Offline
traction  Offline

I've had non-union shops change passwords, install jumpers, and change parameters on jobs they've lost. I have yet to experience this when taking over a union job. I can only assume what I have found is sabotage, there is the outside change it was due to gross incompetence. In only one particular case I know it was sabotage, but the culprit is no longer in business.

I work for a top tier union company, we loose jobs and pick up jobs, and sabotage is not worth it. Our reputation is far more important than a job here and there.

Last edited by traction; 11/10/15 12:29 AM.
#15654 - 12/22/15 04:49 AM Re: Dirty Little Tricks [Re: Elevatorfella]  
ConfusedInCanada Offline
stranger
ConfusedInCanada  Offline
stranger

Local 102
Originally Posted By: Elevatorfella
Heard a story of someone tying a piece of string on a ball valve handle in the pit, manually lowering the car onto buffer springs, then pulling the string, closing the ball valve....very dirty trick on my opinion

So.. I was pretty shocked/impressed when I read this comment and mentioned it to a buddy in the trade. That just led to us both being confused. How would you even fix this? I initially thought you could just hoist the car, but would the negative pressure in the cylinder not prevent this? If there's no way to get under the car, are you pretty much screwed for every plan except cutting a hole in the floor?

Edit: I guess I should submit something I saw, as well. I'm gonna pretend this was intentional because I want to maintain some faith in the boys that work in my local, but for anyone who has worked on one of those silly GE controllers before, you know that faults are all cleared with one jumper... And all the programming could be cleared with that same jumper after either a slip of the hand or a bit of malicious intent... After another company (won't give it away but it starts with a T and ends with a hyssen Krupp) lost a contract, I walked into one of those. Not a good time....

Last edited by ConfusedInCanada; 12/22/15 04:53 AM.
#15655 - 12/22/15 04:56 AM Re: Dirty Little Tricks [Re: traction]  
ConfusedInCanada Offline
stranger
ConfusedInCanada  Offline
stranger

Local 102
Originally Posted By: traction
I've had non-union shops change passwords, install jumpers, and change parameters on jobs they've lost. I have yet to experience this when taking over a union job. I can only assume what I have found is sabotage, there is the outside change it was due to gross incompetence. In only one particular case I know it was sabotage, but the culprit is no longer in business.

I work for a top tier union company, we loose jobs and pick up jobs, and sabotage is not worth it. Our reputation is far more important than a job here and there.

While it's easy to trash talk the morals of non-union workers, sometimes it's more ignorance than it is sabotage. We took on a power station where the elevators were previously looked after by anyone on site that could keep it running. Found a gate switch jumped out only because an electrician could troubleshoot well enough to find out where the power stopped... Changed a set of ECI contacts and everything was good again. He wasn't trying to kill anyone (although, he came closer than he realized) but he just didn't know enough to even step foot in the machine room.

#15687 - 12/24/15 11:03 AM Re: Dirty Little Tricks [Re: billvator]  
koneisland Offline
journeyman
koneisland  Offline
journeyman

Never a good idea to re-use oil at anytime and pretty dumb to re-use without at least filtering it first.

#15712 - 12/28/15 04:44 AM Re: Dirty Little Tricks [Re: ConfusedInCanada]  
RCD Offline
RCD  Offline

You open all the valve and hoist up the car since the valves are open oil will flow into the cylinder as you lift the car and will not flow out due to there being no downward pressure.

#15715 - 12/28/15 09:34 PM Re: Dirty Little Tricks [Re: RCD]  
Silly Offline
enthusiast
Silly  Offline
enthusiast

RCD, how are you going to open the shut off in the pit, that is in the closed position, with the car at lowest landing?

Cutting through the floor, or getting a really small apprentice and boy butter, those are he only two ways I can think of for getting a conventional fixed.

#15719 - 12/29/15 01:45 AM Re: Dirty Little Tricks [Re: Silly]  
Indirtwetrust Offline
ElevatorPractitioner
Indirtwetrust  Offline
ElevatorPractitioner

Local 18
I've now come across two I-2 Dover valves that were acting strange in the up direction, so check the up level adjuster screen only to find the screen had been removed. I guess the last guy to find the screen clogged just decided to remove it completely. Both instances eventually resulted in the whole valve being replaced.

#15950 - 01/25/16 01:37 PM Re: Dirty Little Tricks [Re: Indirtwetrust]  
EleVADER Offline
stranger
EleVADER  Offline
stranger

I've seen first hand nails in a traveling cable upon former company loosing contract and my company at the time troubleshooting for days.. really not the way to go about things in the trade.

#16701 - 04/07/16 02:45 AM Re: Dirty Little Tricks [Re: EleVADER]  
radar Offline
stranger
radar  Offline
stranger

Why are contracts lost?.......poor- service,cleaning,customer relations&cost. I've been servicing elevators for 15 years,putting them back in shape and keeping them that way. I am proud to say I've not lost any contracts .most little tricks I've found are -prints missing,dmc parameter logs scratched off and unreadable. PLEASE take pride in what you do,if you loose one,it will be about cost,not Neglect Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit