A couple of facts about the Gen 2-

-The belts are conservatively rated by Otis. 25 years is the median they will quote. I have spoken with engineers that rate them WAY higher
-The belts are monitored by a proprietary system that constantly scans for internal breakages. This makes Otis the only manufacturer that does not have to replace the suspension means after a set amount of runs.
-The governors on the overslung Gen 2 units had problems early on with sheave degradation. Otis fully stood behind them and replaced them and continues to replace any of these units that show abnormal signs of wear.

Schindler's steel belted unit has a 1 million run limitation (pretty sure about that number). Per ANSI code, they must then be replaced. The 3300 has a maximum rise of 98 feet- Otis's is 300'. Per Schindler's website, the max speed is 150 f/min, a max of 8 stops, and a max capacity of 3500. Otis's is 5000 pounds and a max speed of 500 f/min.

These elevators aren't really in the same category as far as use. Otis does make some smaller, underslung units that compete more directly with the 3300, but once you compare apples to apples, a builder would be forced to move to a 400A model from Schindler with steel cables as the suspension means (thus losing the primary benefit of a machine room-less, low maintenance 'belted' type of unit) to match speed and load.

Having worked on both quite comprehensively, the Otis and Schindler units (in my opinion) aren't in the same ballpark with regards to features and overall quality, even when comparing both the 400A/3300 versus the Gen2 line-up.

All of the above is just my opinion, by the way (aside from the load, speed, rise, and belt info.

Last edited by SEC Reject; 04/19/14 03:45 PM.