Well, I am not in Texas, but for the other questions....

Stand a great chance of getting into the union, regardless of relations. Our union does not really have that issue, some of the signatory companies however, thats a different story.

The electrical experience should help you with some of the entrance exam questions, and depending on experience, may allow you to get a waver for some of our own union apprenticeship classes. The fact you are a UNION electrician will help you with the oral exam portion of the process into the union as well.

Blanket advice, knowing that common sense isnt all that common anymore, if you have it, you will look stellar. The exam is for you to figure out, I will say it is heavy on mechanical and math. Gear A is 24 inches spinning clockwise at 100fpm, how fast will hear be spin if it is 12 inches, and in what direction will it spin? Thats just an example, and if it is really on the test, brilliant!

Our trade is great, we are one of the few self perpetuating trades out there. For every 500 elevators I build on new installation, there are 2-3 service routes created, perhaps some repair as well, if the service geeks dont keep my beauties lubed right! Perhaps a MOD team as well to give some of the items a facelift.

Your overall question, it is not mission impossible to get into the union, with a good work ethic, common sense, and the desire to learn, you will be very successful in this trade. It is a privledge to be in a trade that can take care of you, and your family, for as long as you are willing to take care of your responsibilities, safely, and within our agreement with the companies. Good Luck Solution.