Originally Posted By: jkh
I just looked at a two stop in-line CEMCO dual piston with MCE controls. The shaft walls are block. Water has been coming in for some time. One wall of the shaft is on the My question is "what can we use or do to improve this outside wall.

situation"? Has anyone tried installing PVC drain piping? What if I core 1" holes in the block and run PVC with clean outs to the sump pit? At least it would divert the water to the pump. They say they have replaced it several time in ten years. We are recommending a water level alarm.

Please let me know what has worked for you in the past.

Hey JKH, this is a common occurrence in our area. If you speak to the building designers, they will say the best way to water proof foundations is to divert the water on the outside away from where you don't want it to go. But sometimes that isn't a perfect solution. So the best way I have done this is, to advise the building managers to get the plumbers to place drainage on the outside of the shaft that diverts the water away as best they can, plus you can add the solution that you plaster the walls inside the pit. As a final solution, it was always a reg that a sump hole of some sort must be in the floor of the pit to enable the use of a sump pump to pump the water out on a float switch. The way you sell it is the water will damage the steel framework, which in tern will damage their investment in the building.