Originally Posted By: sbrmilitia
Heads up as a apprentice you are not allowed to carry your own tools. A small pocket screwdriver is ok, a pencil, and tape measure. Any other tools needs to be provided by your mechanic. There are other members out in the field will report you and you can be brought up on charges for having your own tools.

This is the dumbest thing I have heard! Why cant an apprentice have his own tools? As apprentices we were issued a full tool kit!! You don't have to have them on site at all times( and most of the time you may not need it) but at times you do need them.

The best advice I can give is, live the industry and be a sponge. Have a notebook and write everything down and ask questions(if you don't understand anything, ask particularly safety issues). Be attentive to the mechanic's needs ie quick to hand the pliers without the mechanic having to ask for them etc. Doing this tends to have mechanics trust you, and then they fight to get the best apprentices which is a feather in your cap. But the most important lesson you need to learn is fault finding. I was lucky I had mechanics put faults on for me, run snap question and answer sessions etc. The best thing I learnt was when attending a breakdown was, walk in the motor room, hands in the pockets and use the best organs to analyse the situation and determine what is wrong. And that's your EYES!!!! You can most of the time tick off 3/4's of possible causes by checking relays/indicators for safety ccts, locks, direction etc with this method. Learn this and you will be able to fix lifts pretty quickly(don't worry there is no race tho) and look good to your bosses. All the best mate

Last edited by uppo72; 07/05/14 01:50 PM.