Typical crew size for new installation is 2 guys for an elevator. Timelines dictate,bigger jobs how many 2 man crews we may send out. Example 6 elevators on a job, each elevator takes 5 weeks to complete, jobs timeline has elevators complete in 6 months. Company may send only 2 crews out, get to the midway point, and remove a crew, or maybe they send out 3 crews, finish the first 3 cars, then leave a single crew for the remainder. Again time available and projected workload sort of dictate how companies run these jobs.

The old school question. As far as I can remember you are allowed to finish school for a certain amount of time during a layoff. School criteria does dictate you are employed by an elevator company to attend school. Top of the head, I want to say its like a 30 day period from layoff notice, until you must be rehired to stay in school. Very possible that this number is different for other states, as my state has an approved apprenticeship program, and so is most likely regulated.