Originally Posted By: zammy

IF there were this kind of site on the internet that You could easily browse Your way to a specific error code online and get the information instantly in the elevator machine room.

Would You use it?
Would You pay to use it?

@Zammy

It may be useful, but knowing specific fault/error codes is not going to fix elevators. Experience, knowledge, understanding, proper shop support and shared knowledge between elevator men in the field and on forums such as this one does.

I do however agree with you, the big boys do all they can to try to hold captive their market and the customer certainly pays. To a large degree though, any service company is only as good as its front line mechanics and when these mechanics are joined fraternally, fault code knowledge along with associated real world experience is usually a phone call or two or three away.

It takes educated and experienced men to fix broken elevators, information is and will always be simply another tool in their bags.

A fault/error code website would have to be pretty comprehensive and encompassing to be of real value.

And yes the auto repair industry and consumers have lobbied hard on multiple fronts and have made big legal strides in leveling the field for the independent repair shop. The reasons why it has not happened in the elevator industry are likely many, such as elevator owners are at best loosely knit - no lobby power, independent elevator repair shops are loosely knit - no lobby power, the size and type of industry, etc. Are you going to take you Otis car to a Schindler dealer for repair, your Kone to Thyssen, your Ford to Chevy, your Nissan to Toyota.

For the foreseeable future, the independent elevator repair shop and aftermarket parts supplier will remain at a disadvantage and will remain playing catch up when taking on the big boys and their newest twists and technologies. I have worked for the same independent elevator company as a front line mechanic for many years, and only thorough shared experience and information with other mechanics, have I been able to succeed to the degree that I have.

A better educated, organized and proactive elevator consumer is what would be needed to bridle the big boys, and that's not going to happen anytime soon.

@Silly

Lmfao. You made some very good points, and I am willing to bet Zammy has thick skin.