Originally Posted By: sccjr
If you are a Probie working in another local is near impossible because they have their own hiring list of probies, but if you are a 1st year apprentice or higher you can go work in another local as a transient.

Hey sccjr, I appreciate your post and it actually answered a question I had for a while now.

How does school work as a transient though? Lets say you got laid off mid way through the semester, and wanted to travel to another local as a transient. Do you just go to school with your new local and pick up where you left off or what?

Also, it sounds like you ended up staying in California for the long haul. Do you plan on transferring permanently into the California local you've been working out of? Also, don't transients have to be laid off before members from the local are? Did this make staying employed as a transient more difficult, or was California full of work preventing you from getting laid off?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just interested in how you pulled all that off and I think that it's an incredible benefit of being a union member that you could do that.