Originally Posted By: Smitty
Unfortunately ,the real problem is that people try and climb out of elevators that are often 4 or 5 ft above the floor. This has resulted in many deaths since people have slipped under the elevator when trying to jump to the floor. With the advent of newer codes requiring a longer toe guard the problem is helped but the safest place for any passenger is to stay in the elevator until help arrives. The angle system is probably the most foolproof and mechanically sound. The newer car door restrictors being made today are better but they still need to installed and maintained properly.

You have stated the case for door restrictors succinctly. If anyone has any questions as to why they are important simply talk to the AHJ who has investigated such a fatality. The AHJ's are frequently prevented by duty from making public comments, however buy the inspector a cup of joe and ask them what they think of the importance of door restrictors. It will make you a supporter of the devices.

Yes, all moving equipment needs service, adjustment and maintenance. I predict that within the next several years of lack of maintenance, it will take its toll on our infrastructure and economy.

It is up to the Mechanics to hold the line on safety and protect the public.

The people who tell the building owner what the building owner wants to hear as opposed to reality, is a person practicing quackery or some similar confidence trick in order to obtain money, fame or other advantages via some form of pretense or deception. Yes, I have found myself employed by such people and when I found out, I also found out they did not have the money to pay me. Go Figure.

Respectfully Submitted,

Robert L Krieger Jr.