This thread seems to get a ton of traffic, it must be a coming up as a top link in google or something, hopefully its helped some prospective helpers out. Started it over a year ago, so I figured now would be a good time to update my progress.

I originally got hired on in local 133 (Austin, TX) and they had a hard time keeping the probationary apprentices working. I got laid off shortly after acquiring everything I needed to be sworn in and get off probation (thank god). I was still laid off after being sworn in, so decided to seek work in Dallas where I'm originally from. This didn't take long and you gotta love DFW for having so much opportunity.

Going back to work for Thyssen's fort worth location (first day is tomorrow, not looking forward to that drive from north dallas) but I can't complain. Seems like they are desperate for helpers right now. I know some of the mechanics on this forum are working in this local, I can only hope to be put to work under one of them knowing I might learn a great deal.

I might like to permanently transfer to the DFW local 21, but that takes 6 months of permanent residency before they're even able to consider it. Hopefully I can stay employed until that point, though transients are probably the first to go during lay offs.

All in all, I'm a bit over 1000 hours into the trade so I'm still totally lacking in experience. I can tell you that being an elevator constructor is absolutely the most fun trade, and one of the hardest working on a job. You will get dirty, hot, cold, tired, sore, and pissed off. Some days will suck, some days will be easier than others.

You will earn your pay in this trade, and considering the package you receive in this trade, you should expect to work hard for it.

Anyways, I hope people continue to find this thread because it really covers the entire process for someone trying to break into this union. Some of the probies in this thread that got hired with me have already given up and quit, so when you pass your test and ace your interview, know that the veterans of this trade you go to work with will be what makes or breaks you.

Last edited by Solution; 08/05/15 04:24 AM.