Hi there. This is a barely technical question from someone who knows next to nothing about the craft of elevators. I recently moved into a new building and live in an apartment adjacent to the elevator shaft (2 elevators) and about 3 floors down from the elevator engine motor room. Unfortunately I am hearing a noise I haven't heard before having lived in over 5 apartment buildings in my life - each time the elevator operates, there are a series of noises, the most distinctive of which is a clank (as if a metal catch were being release, or alternatively, as if someone were hitting something with a hammer). This is followed by what I presume is the running of the motor, which is annoying but more tolerable.

I mentioned this briefly to the building manager and he said "it's part of living in a communal space" which wasn't very satisfying.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the noise of the youtube link below? It occurs at the 6 second mark. I recorded it with a smartphone so it's not terribly loud, apologies for that. I hear this basically every minute in the evening rush hour, and it is unfortunately driving me crazy. The building is a 34 story high-rise in Manhattan's east side. Happy to provide more information. I just want to see whether the manager is right and it's a completely normal noise to which I have to either get accustomed or else just bear with it for a year and then move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LcxLE0PUi4&feature=youtu.be