Yes this does suck.. I was working for IUEC a couple years back and really don't agree with the way they hire at all... if you do get laid off you get put back on the list and I have seen guys on the list not move in 8 months !
I got lucky and ranked 12th in austin and got called within 2 months, i got laid off within a month... They literally called about 15 of us into the office during the month of november and laid ALL of us off .. i didn't not get hire back on till feb and they wanted me to work the DAY they called me ... luckily my job was flexible enough to allow me to go back to work but then i was the only helper for the company for 6 months and could have been laid off at any moment for any little mistake i made... yeah screw that. I am back and moving up with my old company making more money than i would have made with IUEC . It's a great job if you can find side work but if it is your only source of income and nobody to help you when you get laid off you can get royally screwed. just letting yall know.