Originally Posted By: SpaceLord
Originally Posted By: pieman
In fairness I think the upset was caused as you were given advice by some very experienced and knowledgeable persons but then continued to seek validation from others for ignoring said advice.
Also probably best not to start a conversation about money saving exercises with the sentence " when I'm out on my yacht...." . Just a thought.

There was another member on here who told me that OTIS had something like I was talking about in the early 2000 however it was abandoned since it did not work that well.

It was reasonable to think that something with an antenna might also have the same feature that OTIS had but maybe something perfected.

I was really trying to expand on what other member posted

Also, it was not really a yacht but more of a regular size boat with a cabin inside. Very expensive upkeep and I sold it.
However, the point remains that I had a device that allowed you to send a distress call to the coastguard and have them locate the device. I don't know if it used satellite or pings like the Blackbox on airplanes. All I knew if it the boat was sinking, you grabbed the bag with the device in it and inflated the life raft and hoped the coastguard could find you.

Seem like that might be a good idea as a plan B for these elevators.

Thank you once again for explaining and answering my quesiton.

Actually my point was Otis had a 'functional' connection back to base, purely so base can monitor when elevators broke down. It had 'no' cellular functionality and in 'no' was a replacement for the emergency phone. My post was only within that context.