I put in 2 softstarts on Dover SS Hydros this week. First one was straightforward, across the line, 6 lead, 30hp motor. When I got to the next one, there were only 3 leads in the controller. First I was thinking if it's a 3-wire Wye 30hp motor, I'm going to need a way bigger starter. But when I opened the motor J-box I found it was a 6 lead motor, just wired Delta in the box with 3 leads brought to the controller. What I did was brought all 6 leads back to the starter and wired it like a typical 6 lead motor. My question is, could I have left the wiring like it was and just ran the 3 leads through the starter and fault contractor in series like an in-Line config? This didn't cross my mind until I left but I don't really doubt the motor would work, either way it's wired in delta with L1 to T1&T6, L2 to T2&T4, L3 to T3&T5. Would the Siemens starter have come up with a motor wiring fault? Anyone ever wired one this way? It would have saved me almost 2 hours and a trip to the electrical supply for my boss.