Originally Posted By: Solution
I know I know, another damn wana be apprentice starting a thread. Sorry.

I just have a few questions and would greatly appreciate anyone willing to respond.

I'm currently finishing up my first year as an apprentice in the IBEW (electrical union) and although I like it so far, from the research I've done I really think I would prefer this trade.

So in May the Austin local #133 will be taking in applications, and I got me some questions.

First of all, is this union one where I stand little chance if I don't actually know anyone already inside the union?

Will the fact that I have electrical experience working through the IBEW help improve my odds of acceptance?

Is there any blanket advice that you can give me prior to my interview to improve my odds?

Is there anything about this trade I should know before I apply?

Does anyone work in Austin and/or Texas? If so, am I making a good decision pursuing this and what can I expect?

Overall, how difficult is it to gain entrance into the program?
I'm 23, and have both college/construction experience as an electrician.

Anyways, I'm simply anxious because I really want to be a part of an exclusive and demanding trade such as this one, and would appreciate any and all input. Sorry for all the questions.

Thank you gentlemen!

Well the economy is still strong, and I still love my job (most days). I have found success in this trade since my initial post, and am surprised that this thread has surpassed a million views. There is obviously an ongoing interest in this trade, so I decided to create a subreddit that people are free to post to/ask questions in. Here is a link, please feel free to subscribe. https://www.reddit.com/r/IUEC/