Hey semperfire,

Fellow vet here, and I also applied to the local 4 - luckily I was able to take the test earlier in the year through another recruitment.

Don't stress too hard about the test - I'm not sure what you feel your strengths are, but for me, I am solid on english comprehension so I skipped prepping for that. I mainly had to refocus on math without a calculator. I had gotten so comfortable using one doing complex calculus that I could barely remember how to multiply fractions or decimals in my head. The math portion is not incredibly difficult - think about addition/subtraction/multiplication/division and some fraction/decimal work - just touch up on anything you don't really remember on Khan Academy. The mechanical portion was tough, make sure you understand how systems of gears/cogs work and anything with fluid dynamics or pressure and electrical circuits. It is kind of similar to the ASVAB, and the time crunch can get kinda real so just remain calm and work as quickly as you can.

Make sure you drink plenty of fluids and eat before the test too and try to calm the nerves, mine were insane in the beginning, but once I got into the flow I calmed down enough to work through it.
Best of luck!