I just got into local 8 in San Francisco, but I can try to answer your questions from what I've learned.

1) Your local has a diameter that it services -- So whatever your jurisdiction is, say Cleveland and some surrounding cities is what you either do service, modifications, or new construction. You wont travel to other locals and work without transferring. I have a 27 mile diameter I work in, and they pay mileage etc depending on where I'm at within that diameter. Service travels every day, mods can take weeks at the same job site, new construction can take a couple months depending on the number of stops.

2) Some people work 40, others work up to 84 depending on the time frame for the job. I came out with a guy that went to a 40 hour week job, I went to job working mon-sat & 12 hour days. 40 should pretty much be guaranteed unless the economy tanks

3) It is shift work, most commonly 6am-2:30pm in my local... not sure about others. I know service guys are on call also.

Also, the first year is probationary. So show up everyday and bust your a**. It's cool work, I enjoy it a lot -- plus all OT is double time!