Went back today and had a helper with me. He watched the input from left and then right sensor as I ran it past the sensors and marked the hoistway wall when they went low and ten high again. Both evidenced synchronised activity and after doing that, it actually ran to top on automatic one time without throwing a fault. Then back to faulting out with every trip to the top.

So we got another meter and watched both sensors (requiring that he press a meter lead against connector plug 14 again to read them) in order that we could see it if one sensor was intermittently failing to register. It ran on automatic without a single fault for 6 or 8 trips. I began to regard that connector 14 with deep suspicion and unplugged it and replugged it multiple times (as well as pressing the wires inward and tugging them to make sure they were connected well. After returning it to automatic, it has run without problems! I guess we had a failure to make within the plug!

Lowoil, I also manipulated the controller inspection switch several times to make sure it was making well, too. Thanks for that tip.

I appreciate everyone’s input!

2nd generation elevator man.