Hello fellow elevator people! Greetings from Kansas! I have an Otis 72 machine that we recently put new ropes on. It is a two to one set up with a sheave on top of the car and a sheave on top of the counter weight. The machine is double wrapped with a secondary sheave in the overhead. About a week after roping it I heard a strange noise. After investigating I found out the armature had shifted about 3/16th of an inch towards the brush ring end. Needless to say the brake shoe is now rubbing on the inside of the machine sheave and has carved quite a deep groove. This scared me for a number of reasons. After consulting the Unitech book we Odered a new bearing for the brush ring end of the machine. I have many questions because I nor has anyone else from my shop replaced one of these bearings. Is the bearing pressed into the upright? Or does gravity and the set screw hold it in place. There is no race with the bearing so I assume it uses the oil as a sort of race. We have the bearing and are ready to do the job. If anyone has any pointers or advice I would sure appreciate it.
Thanks for the help
Rando