Yep UPPO..I walk in and see this "Seasoned Mechanic??" and 2 T.M.'s, and the building manager, surrounding the "Seasoned Mechanic" while he tried to get a pair of 420 channel locks, on the spring tension nut...Sorry...But I just lost it...

And then there was the time I went on an overtime call back. Call was severe leveling problems. Old Otis slim line stuff..Car was in service when I arrived. Rode the car to the top and it did a buffer test. let me out then closed the doors and went about it's merry old way picking up passengers...

I'm thinking "What the Hell?" as I ran up to the machine room. Caught the elevator and pulled the the knife switch. Looked down and seen a bright yellow jumper, jumping out the entire safety ciruit. Removed the jumper, fixed the elevator, I can't remember but I think I recall an HX contact on the selector. Then I just sat in the machine room and boiled on a not so slow simmer...

Call me a snitch, goon, etc..Don't really give a damn. I marched into the bosse's office the next morning and embedded the jumper in a wall, from throwing it. Then I told him the entire story.

He called the guy in, and he admitted he had put the jumper on the car because he got tired of having to get the car off the limits. He was fired immediately...

I will say my old boss called EVERYONE in that afternoon, and embedded the jumper in the wall again, and explained to ALL, why so and so wasn't here anymore, and the same fate would fall to anyone in his employ if they thought this was good troubleshooting practice...

I know people forget and stuff happens. Hell I was doing some re-adjusting on a car, and after I got home I talked myself into the notion that I had left the bottom final jumped out. I got into the car and drove 30 miles back to the job at midnight to check it. It wasn't on, but I could finally get back to sleep when I got back home....

I know about those kind of things, but when I see just see sheer stupidity and laziness, I just can't stand it, when it comes to safety. Fortunately 99.99% of the guys out there do give a damn about this stuff. This should be evident by my rant, that I've only blown up like this 2 times in 34 years...But when you see it 1st hand it just makes my blood run cold...

It Don't mean a thing if it aint got that swing.

Cool, Free, Johnny Smith courtesy of NPR..HERE
http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/asc/asc25.smith.asx