I completely understand. When they asked those 20 questions and the 2 that stood out for me was 1. This job doesn't guarantee full time work and 2. You understand that when we call you have to leave your job without giving them notice. Those were 2 big red flags for me because like you I have a family but the opportunity to double my pay in 4 years would be a game changer for my family. i interviewed yesterday and it went extremely well. They asked me 7 questions(the same 7 questions they will ask everybody). I wont share them on here but if you search on the elevator reddit website they listed almost all 7 of the questions. During the test did the test proctor explain to you that you probably won't be laid off almost ever in this field? I think the only time this trade experienced issues was 2008 which was pretty much a great depression like scenario. Also he said that you have to make the most of your opportunity when you get called, which means don't make a bad name for yourself when you are working with a mechanic which will probably get you sent back to the hall. I have seen it with pipe-fitters at my current job. A young guy shows up to work with a pipe-fitter and makes a couple of mistakes and doesn't complete work as fast as the journey wants and they don't bring them back. You have to impress the mechanic as much as the union.