thanks Elmcannic and RustyIron - hopefully I can get someone to fix this.

As this is a Conquest traction elevator which was bought by Garaventa, no one seems to know where to get info (including Garaventa) (i.e. schematics, etc.) let alone parts. I am waiting on Garaventa to call me back with recommendations.

At this stage, I am just curious what "locks" an elevator in place once it reaches a floor. When the elevator is on the first floor, every 15 minutes or so, you can hear the motor run for a split second and then the door unlocks (lights come on). After a few minutes the lights go out (looking through the peephole). 15 or so minutes later, same thing occurs again. What I am surmising (door is closed and I can't see) is the cab is moving slowly upward losing the "floor" and the electronics detects this and moves the elevator back in position triggering the door lock and lights. I'm just guessing on this. When I was in the elevator during the re-learn process, the elevator never moves once it reached the floor. Maybe my own weight and the tech was enough to keep it in place. On the second floor, movement upwards would run into the upper limit switch locking the whole system out. And so now I wait again for a tech.

Strange behavior.