You have just described a monkey on a stick. It will not move when you just push in the main contactors. It only moves when you trip the switches on the tape and then it obviously only goes to the next floor. Is the selector at the bottom? I dont remember which relays pull in to move the selector. Have you jumped the main lines directly to the high speed motor leads to verify the motor? It shouldnt be a real problem to trace the wiring from main lines to the motor. Look at the selector and see that the made contacts are breaking and that the open contacts are making when the wing on the traveling nut is in contact with the stack contacts. Also, 1 and 2 are up and down, but I believe that there is another common relay (in series with 1 and 2) that is required for the motor to run. There are also starter grids that get jumped out when you start the motor. If one of them is open, the motor will either single phase or not hum at all. You said that you were getting 81U and 81D, if you are at the bottom, you should not be able to get 81D. Check your B69, I believe that it should be out when at the bottom.