I would like to start off and say thanks in advance for all the input and help.

(Atlanta Georgia Area)

Honestly just trying to get a feel for and what to expect in this profession. Iam an electrician by trade for the last 15 years, then got a wild hair in my butt and figured I'd go and become a firefighter in my mid 30's. About a 1 1/2 in the fire service so far and am already thinking I've made a mistake. Long story short, the local in my area just opened up accepting applications and I've applied.

Any advise, warnings, praises, do's-donts, expectations, reality, are all welcomed. A few questions I would like to have answered are...

1) realistically, generally speaking how steady is this trade with in reason.

2) opinion about companies. Meaning who should I strive to work for if the opportunity comes available. Are larger companies better or are smaller ones in this industry better.

3) service side or construction side? I really would like to get on with a company and work almost as much overtime as possible while iam still young and want to. Also the work conditions and hours of each.

4) the taboo one, realistically how much can one expect to earn annually in this career. (Atlanta Georgia)

5) how does the mileage rate and perdiem work. Seen it on the locala website where it says 25miles away, 50 miles away and 1 night, 2 nights etc. How does that work? Does this only apply if your working out of town? If so what is out of town? So many miles from local or from your home or if your working for a different local.

6) if i.get hired on what can I do to be the best that I can possibly be, what's expected of me outside of the normal. Or what can I do to shine.

Thanks and be safe out there.