Found this issue on a couple of MCE controllers... not sure if this is actually an issue or just how it operates which to me would be wierd if this is normal...

I have a couple customers with MCE controllers from about 10-20 years ago... so early 2000s. each have battery lowering (i believe its a reynolds and reynolds make) which consists of 2 batteries, transformer and a single board to operate it all... We discovered this issue during a state test in which the inspector wrote up the battery lowering for not working properly.

What happens is when you switch to battery lowering (jump the disconnect switch, kill power with car running down in between floors) the controller dies out, then the battery backup board lights up and the controller comes to life. This is where I can not say if this is normal for MCE or not because I don't have many like this but at this point when the controller kicks on with battery power the car lowers maybe an inch or so then the controller dies again, a couple seconds later the controller reboots on battery again and the car does the same thing. I was able to get past the test by waiting until the car got into levelling and was close enough to the landing it would make it there rather quickly although it would still do this on and off sort of sequence....even when it would make floor level and the doors would open up it would do it - the doors would open a little ways and the controller would crap out then come back on and the doors would continue opening like that until fully open.

I have tried replacing the batteries and even the reynolds board. ive worked with tech support and have found them to not be so helpful and almost seeming like they are just shooting in the dark with possible solutions.

im wondering if anyone had a similar issue (or if anyone knows this is normal), if anyone has any recommendations on what could potentially be causing this (ie. a separate power supply maybe?), or any more info on it - im able to get by my state tests but my concern is eventually ill have an inspector who will notice how we are doing it and more importantly that if there is ever a situation where this is needed that it may cause a serious emergency for a passenger.

Appreciate any help.