For hydros I'm actually a huge proponent of the Smartise V2 ( I don't know anything about the C4). I know shoot me, but I think it is the perfect hydro mod.

I've installed like 10 of them with no real issues. Everything is compact, simple and i've never had any problem with tech support (but i am in California). If you do need software changes you can get it emailed to you and upload it yourself. Also I'm pretty sure they've practically released the parameter master list (I'm pretty sure they give this out if your company spends x amount) so you can fix a lot of stuff on your own. Also despite what everyone says, the cedes camera system is just better than tape and magnets. It's much quicker to install and when it's time to adjust you'll never have to get in the hoistway and move magnets, also you'll never have tape guide issues or noise. Depending on the AHJ the tape alows you to use virtual slowdowns, finals, nts, ets, and tsrd so I've often never had to pipe anything in the hoistway beyond pit stop switch and door locks.

I like Motion too and think it's a great product but they're stuff is much larger and requires more wires. The install never looks as clean and the removable controller door is just ridiculous in 2022. The interface isn't as user friendly and not every controller is the same. Some will have ice cube relays for different functions and some will have additional i/o boards which are stacked ontop of each other which makes getting to some more difficult. If you ever need to update software you will have to get an SD card shipped to you which takes additional time and imo they're change orders takes significantly longer and cost more than Smartrise. Also unlike the Smartrise boards which have the LEDS at the wire connection, motion puts them in all in a row so you have to search for what your looking for. Also the connection point on board is ridiculously deep which doesn't allow you to land the wire with some conductor visible unless you strip a ridiculous amount. Having said that, I have known multiple organizations to insist on Motion and everything i've heard in the field and experienced leads to me to believe they are the most reliable of any controller. Also, they are more adaptable than most, Smartrise V2 does not have the capabilities of more than 10 landings or allow you to use two soft starters if you have two pump units like many large capacity hydro's.

Now if we're talking traction I think the Motion IBox is the top of the line and the only reason I can think of to install Smartrise over it would be due to cost but I don't know enough about that aspect.

As far as other equipment goes, can never go wrong with GAL door equipment and Maxton valves. All modern generic fixtures are good imo and all propriety fixtures are junk. I know the majors have good buttons but they just don't put them in on the jobs I end up getting and I get stuck with plastic junk that keeps breaking all because someone wanted to save $10 on a button, it angers me greatly.

Last edited by LAmech; 09/02/22 02:18 AM.