1) I’m certain what you’ve got is a properly adjusted brake. There are no interchangeable brakes to reduce this nuisance noise you’re hearing.

2) Both. Building design and machine type and location all play into your complaint. The shaft is square in shape with hard walls and ceiling. Sound has no escape route but through the air gaps around hallway/landing doors and through walls or downwards. But if the lift is moving up and down below your floor, the cabin top bounces sound back up. The lobby is simply an echo chamber of those same noises by design. If the entire roof structure over the shaft were removed, your problem would be most likely solved as all of the sound would travel upwards and out with no physical obstructions. But of course that’s not realistic, but rather to illustrate the issue of a soundproof or insulated structure verses non insulated.

Hopefully this helps you. I’m not an expert on this particular machine, rather my opinions are based on in field experience over a full career.