Ashley,

I'm glad to hear that you haven't encountered any issues so far, and I hope you never do. As elevator experts, our primary goal is to prevent injuries and technical problems. However, when such incidents occur, they can lead to frustrating and challenging situations, including lawsuits. The critical question in these scenarios often is, 'Could this have been prevented?' Whether the answer is 'yes' or 'no,' it usually indicates a significant problem.

The choice to use an inexpensive, easy-to-install controller with fewer travel cables might have seemed advantageous initially. However, the question arises: is it worth compromising safety and facing potential legal repercussions?

To address your point about UL/CSA, TSSA, and other organizations, it's important to note that they are private certification bodies, not government authorities. They offer standards and certifications necessary for legal sale, but whether products truly comply with codes can be debatable. Elevator codes can often be vague and subject to varied interpretations, which can lead to compliance issues if misunderstood. It's crucial to have a deep understanding of these codes to implement them correctly.

I have experience working with MCE controllers, and although I am no longer affiliated with them, I can attest to their rigorous approach to code compliance. They strive to interpret and apply codes accurately and even publish documents to aid others in understanding these standards correctly. On the other hand, I've heard that Smartrise has outsourced their design and engineering to a foreign company, possibly to Lebanon, which I really doubt they have good knowledge of US safety and code regulations. Below is an article that provides insight into how MCE addresses code compliance and assists in its correct interpretation:

https://acim.nidec.com/elevators/-/...ollers-and-common-misunderstandings.ashx

Again I am not affiliate with MCE, I just mentioned them because of my own experience.