I know the 0.020 is way to much, the machine was not well maintained over its life. I don't think anyone every changes gear lube anymore, seems like every new one I get on service and pull off the inspection covers to clean them out and its tar. But the worn and gears are so worn that no matter how much i lower them they will bottom out before they tighten up the backlash. The "original" binding turned out not to be binding after all, it was a bad encoder. I found it by mistake, when I turned the drive to open loop to get it to the top of the shaft to hang the car again, the bucking went way. Grabbed an encoder from a car being updated around town and she runs great. Other crews not happy they have to run on open loop but they will live. I still can't figure out why I have no wipe in the down direction. I did check the balance of the car , it is way off. The car wants to drift down rather then up even at the top of the shaft. I told the guys who will be replacing it that I want the machine when it comes out so i can play woth it more to figure out what the heck is going on with the lack of wipe in the down.