The motor shop had to get the bearings from Europe. At least that's what they told me. You know how it is, everybody circles the wagons, and sits on information, so as to protect their business interests. I've got the old bearings still. When I get back, I'll dig for the source. It'll be a few days, as I'm out of town.

They had to make a custom puller, to pull the rotor straight up and out of the stator housing. The neo-dymium boron-oxide magnets are very sensitive to heat, and impacts. Brittle stuff. And very powerful, don't get pinched, would be a real bad day...

The puller was just some flat plate, with holes on the periphery to bolt to the rotor, and a hole in the center for an eye-bolt. Just iron mongery. Have torch, will travel, no problem. They bolted the stator down to secure it, then lifted the rotor straight up with the shop crane. Make sure a keeper of some sort is put on the magnets. They used some banding iron.....

You can't test the rewind on 60 cycles!
You can't even test it on a VVVF drive! (according to the motor shop)

It operates like a big stepping motor. If I understand it right, the V3F25 drive uses the resolver angular input to determine the degree of rotation of the rotor, and it energizes the 3-phase windings accordingly. It applies like more of a "pulse", rather than a sine wave. Even the negative side is sort of a minus DC pulse, and not a curve. Well, I dont have this on "good authority", it's someones' opinion. I don't know as much about motors as this guy, so I'm inclined to believe him. If I have more time, I'll study the motor waveform with the o'scope.

So before we re-installed it, we tested it right in the bed of the truck on inspection speed, with 3 phase extension cables, resolver cable, and we had to jump out a bunch of stuff on the control. It ran on inspection speed, so we felt confident to rig it back into place.

Last edited by Vic; 10/25/12 09:46 PM.