I was a young mechanic on my 1st route, which of course was pure junk. The city route. All kinds of garbage elevators, from city hall, to the police station. You guys know the routine...

I was given a helper...(Yes we had Maintenance helpers back then), And I decided I would put him to good use. So off a pit cleaning we did go.

Went over to one building with an old dilapidated hydro, opened the doors and sent the helper in the pit with a broom and a trash bag. Forgot to mention...This building was where the police department processed evidence....

So...I'm standing around checking out the police and the police dogs, and I hear my hippie helper exclaim.....DAMN...

I look in the pit and I see him holding about a 2 foot bud of marijuana. Then I looked in the pit and it was full of them. As well as several small baggies filled with white powder.

My helper looked at me and pleadingly begged..."Can we Keep It?...PLEASE?"...I looked around at the lobby full of cops, dogs, etc.. and told him "I don't think so buddy"..

I've never seen a human being so dejected as I called over a cop and showed him our find. He thanked us and called in some more officers to finish the clean up.

It Don't mean a thing if it aint got that swing.

Cool, Free, Johnny Smith courtesy of NPR..HERE
http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/asc/asc25.smith.asx