i make a s&it ton of money form the new guy going on calls and shutting down elevators, telling the boss what is wrong and then i go in a fix it the next day. my biggest issue is the RUSH RUSH that the office push with all the safety BS!!! you CAN NOT do both and the new guy are taking WAY TO MANY CHANCES.. the are going to kill themselves or someone else. the numbers don't lie look at the increase of accidents that have happened and the decrease of man power, even the old timers are slipping up and getting hurt because they are job scared & trying to get visits in and procedures done and trouble calls and, and, and, and, need i keep going?
The new guy's; you can't even call them up to try to explain what they might want to look for in the future, because there is know way i know more them they do.
back to the main issue if you don't know how to use a DMM to check a diode then you have any business troubleshooting ANYTHING! Its pretty basic! and i don't replace diodes i don't even know where to order them from anymore(zap?). no time anyways, but i do have a solder gun and a solder sucker just in case!!!!!