Thanks guys, and I do appreciate your responses.
So what one inspector says is that on the annual test, not only do all smoke heads need testing ( and I'm sure he'd add the shunt trip too) but on either traction or hydro these items should be checked to be sure Phase 1 Fire stays latched;
Earthquake operation
Derailment operation
Loss of main 3 phase incoming power
Battery lowering operation
Probably generator back up switch over too.
I mean it sounds as if it's an new construction turnover.
The other inspector seems to think it should be tested similar to like Boa's description, which is quite simple and honestly like what I've been lead to believe is an exceptable way except I do pull the mainline on the last smoke to see if the unit recovers yet on Phase 1 when powered back up.
And the PACE class instructor agrees more with inspector #1 (on an annual!).
Go figure. My point is, being licensed, there is s tremendous liability it seems to me on each mechanic to perform this test "properly" in accordance with a State regulations. I'm liable here if something isn't right, and as they say, "Ignorance is no excuse of the law". Guess I'll have to press deeper to get closer to the bottom this and ask the local authority (the State) just "What" are we to be testing on the annual inspection. Or as some would suggest, " Buy a code book ya dope!"
Sorry to take up so much "Technical" space for this.