Kind of a mute point around here, whether it's a final inspection or a valve replacement getting inspected, all valves around here get inspected with full load when commissioned and the relief valve setting is sealed. So you will definitely get to make any final adjustments with weights.

When I was installing and the occasional valve replacement I would set up and adjust the valve with the car empty. When weights were brought out for inspection I'd verify it rides good and down speed if a passenger car, and finish making adjustments all around if a freight car.

Some may disagree with me here but I believe the valve should be adjusted for the best ride quality at the most frequent load, not full load. It should most certainly ride acceptablely when empty and at full load. But if I have a car that's say a 2500 pound car that's in a building that 90% or more of the trips it'll make are moving one or two people im going to focus on getting the valve adjusted as perfect as I can get it with 200-400 pounds in the car, then make sure it rides fine with 2500 pounds in it too. If it's a freight car I may do the opposite, focus on adjusting it with a full load and then make sure it rides ok empty.