Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
SElevator1, T.J. Olson, Clay, Flow, Kathyw
10,053 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics7,404
Posts41,025
Members10,053
Most Online3,137
Apr 9th, 2026
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34701 02/07/23 03:17 PM
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 108
Likes: 1
member
member
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 108
Likes: 1
Hello everyone. Having a very annoying issue with a Gamma D we picked up a few months ago. At first it was an intermittent problem with the F21 fuse blowing but now the car won't hardly run at all even on controller inspection. Most recently I added a circuit breaker panel to the system and branch circuits on the primary & secondary side of the main transformer. I discovered that the primary side of the transformer being fed with the F21 & F22 fuses is drawing 34 amps when the car is trying to run. Both F21 & F22 fuses are balanced in terms of amperage but only the F21 fuse is blowing, both fuses are 8 amp time delay. Collectively the secondary side of the transformer is only drawing slightly under 6 amps when the car is trying to run. Megged the transformer thinking there was a short but every tap read open to ground on 500V scale and no windings are shorted together. I have only been able to run the car 1 time and that was when I drifted it half way up the building and when I took the car off of controller inspection it recovered to the bottom floor. Every other time before the car was sitting at the bottom and we were trying to run up. Going back to the building today to check some more things and will definitely try that scenario again to see if the issue is directional. What doesn't make sense is why the F21 fuse is drawing the amperage it is but it is feeding the primary side of the transformer and not in the motor, thyristor, filter portion of the controls. Wondering if maybe a thyristor gating problem in the up direction vs the down but I will try and confirm that later today. Still doesn't explain why that particular fuse blows unless maybe related to that particular phase of power? Anyone have any ideas or insight I'm all ears. I attached a copy of the print for reference.
Attachments
2023_01_20 12_00 PM Office Lens.jpg (875.18 KB, 14 downloads)

Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,769
Likes: 12
I
ElevatorPractitioner
ElevatorPractitioner
I Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,769
Likes: 12
Every time I’ve encountered something like this I’ve found some fuse downstream is the wrong size or type. Every circuit coming out of that transformer should be fused or have a circuit breaker. And remember to convert to Volt/Amps (watts) when comparing current draw on the primary to current draw on the secondary.

Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 108
Likes: 1
member
member
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 108
Likes: 1
Ok, so finally got this one figured out. Confirmed the car would run in the down direction perfectly fine. Long story short found the ribbon cable loose on the trigger board. That must have been drawing down phase A and causing fuse F21 to draw excessive current and blowing the fuse. Car is BIS and working fine. Had to install some shim to the retainer for the ribbon cable connector. Seemed too loose.
Attachments
PXL_20230120_190015306_2.jpg (48.75 KB, 12 downloads)


Link Copied to Clipboard
Photo Gallery
service tool laptop
service tool laptop
by dunkdadrunk, February 4
rip orona
rip orona
by epic_ecodisc, January 7
what controller is this?!
what controller is this?!
by Alex_ELMAN, December 4
HW PM
HW PM
by Chris, January 13
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
by stankap, September 24
Drive sheave
Drive sheave
by jkh, October 10
The best helper.
The best helper.
by Adrian, August 8
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.049s Queries: 22 (0.009s) Memory: 3.0079 MB (Peak: 3.5926 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 03:33:38 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS