EElevator:
That is actually a problem with our industry, not making money on construction, it always had been that way. That's why we don't bother with it. Most companies do it to get the units on service after the install. The big boys make it impossible to make money on the install, all they care about is getting their proprietary equipment in the door.
I have to disagree with you on why companies buy Smartrise over MCE, in our case it is for the following reasons: 1) Faster to install as there is less wiring 2) Hall fixtures, COP, Landing System, and cart top box is all pre-wired, thus saving field time 3) At the beginning, it was just two boards and some relays, easy to keep spare parts on hand 4) smaller travel cable is less money 5) at the beginning, faster tech support time. And for us, MCE burnt their bridge with us and forced us to look at other companies due to their product issues coming right out of the factory in the late 90s, I really miss their old controller , the ones that you never needed to call them for support to get it running.
We are installing our first Alpa Traction controller next month, I won't be working on that job, but will stop in to see it once it's uncrated. Their hydro reminds me of the old Smartrise, we have a few and all problem free installs and running well.
Alex_Elman:
Thanks for your explanation , I never really thought of that aspect, as we have not had any issues, except when we go on a new job and find the last contractor turned off releveling or brake monitoring etc. I get your stance on the redundancy issue with the software, but if they truly don't comply, do you not think someone at UL/CSA or a AHJ would have called them out on it by now? of course that reminds me of the dmc controller.tank set up. I complained about the motor leads not being in conduit between the tank and controller, was told by the State it was ok, well until we did it on a job site, with a MEI tank and controller, then it was a violation.