Originally Posted By: sccjr
Very interesting discussion. The big companies don't care about troubleshooters anymore. 3/4 of the mechanics I worked w/ at the big "O" couldnt troubleshoot a broken p.b. These mechanics would call me for the simplest problems, it blew my mind. Yet when I told them I needed to be paid a little bit more than the other so called mechanics I was told "no." Why? because they have Otis rolle, their tech support. Laughable. So thats why im at an idependent. Unfortunately this is the worse run co. i've ever seen. So my eyes are focused on the bigger picture, in a different state. Vic you are a wealth of knowledge. Thank you.

When we were bought by otis in the 90's, the 1 thing that surprised me was their own mechanics were essentially told not to touch selectors and to leave any adjustment to the leading hands or adjusters. While i can understand that for complex issues but not for simple faults. The thing that got me was that they deliberately shyed away from training their employees from learning how to work on selectors and therefore not having to spend time on faults that dont require that level of attention. When we started some cross training our guys seems to understand the concept better than theirs. It just seemed odd at the time. It also was funny that the leading hands were not experts on all equipment either. They were either selector or 401 guys but not both which was not they way our L/H's were as they were over all equipment we supplied. I guess im saying the way they ran and trained their mechanics was weird.