Who's Online Now
1 registered members (ot1989), 23 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,528
Posts36,942
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#10089 - 03/14/14 05:59 PM Re: Scenario based technical question [Re: driver]  
JustWolf Offline
Liscensed Journeyman
JustWolf  Offline
Liscensed Journeyman

Milwaukee
I know of instances when a car went into the overhead and crashed, the car got stuck in the overhead, car safties applied.
This must be somthing that you are really trying to get the answer you want and won't let it go. That car would not have recovered in that instance, and yes there would be new skivies involved. Use your BS detector. The car would not have lowered if the case was that it slipped traction in the up direction. If it was overspeeding in the up direction most likley it would have tripped the overspeed switch on the governor, top final, both of which is in the safety circuit. 21 is not a highrise.

#10091 - 03/14/14 07:15 PM Re: Scenario based technical question [Re: JustWolf]  
driver Offline
stranger
driver  Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: JustWolf
The car would not have lowered if the case was that it slipped traction in the up direction. If it was overspeeding in the up direction most likley it would have tripped the overspeed switch on the governor, top final, both of which is in the safety circuit. 21 is not a highrise.

Ok...If I still remember the jist of this story correctly, there was no slipping traction, or overspeed involved in that particular case...
The whole plot revolved around the fact that the numbers on the floor counting-off display have somehow reset themselves, while the elevator was traveling in the upwards direction and started counting back from the ground floor, when in fact it was already passing a much higher floor...
In this story/legend, the elevator was simply confused at which floor it really was, so if it were a 21 storey building and the counter has reset back to 0 around 15-th floor this would mean that there were only 6 more floors available, while the elevator would somehow "think", that it still has the full 21 floors to go...

Last edited by driver; 03/14/14 07:18 PM.
#10092 - 03/14/14 07:36 PM Re: Scenario based technical question [Re: driver]  
JustWolf Offline
Liscensed Journeyman
JustWolf  Offline
Liscensed Journeyman

Milwaukee
At the extreme end of nomal travel in both directions safety circuit stops the car, and will not restart with ELEVATOR tech reseting, regardless of what the PI says.

#10093 - 03/14/14 08:07 PM Re: Scenario based technical question [Re: JustWolf]  
driver Offline
stranger
driver  Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: JustWolf
At the extreme end of nomal travel in both directions safety circuit stops the car, and will not restart with ELEVATOR tech reseting, regardless of what the PI says.

Thank you..this is the answer I was looking for, as far as this story is concerned.
Obviously an urban legend of sorts...

#10095 - 03/15/14 12:21 AM Re: Scenario based technical question [Re: driver]  
uppo72 Offline
addict
uppo72  Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: driver
@uppo72, thank you for taking time to read my thread.
Speaking of electrical glitches, I actually have a question about one:
I recall once someone once told me, that they know a person whom was traveling up in a highrise building, when to their horror suddenly the numbers on the display (not sure what kind) have reset themselves half way up and started counting from the ground floor again, despite being somewhere around 15-th floor or so with only some 6 floors to go before the top...
Supposedly the cab crashed into the top pretty hard, then cam down one floor and the door opened so this person was able to bolt out of it, presumably needing a new set of underwear....
Could this somehow happen, or was I a victim of an urban legend?...

Your example is not uncommon. I would also suggest don't get caught up on superlatives like 'crashed' as it is incorrect and places a slant on the typical write ups from journo's to paint a picture of a lack of safety in lifts. What happened most likely, is the lift got what we call out of step. This happens sometimes but in NO WAY is the lift now UNSAFE. The lift will then continue in the up direction until in performs a CONTROLLED slow down into the top floor via the emergency terminal stopping. The reason why it 'seems' like it crashes is because the slowdown is done within a certain distance and has to be done quickly.

#10098 - 03/15/14 03:13 AM Re: Scenario based technical question [Re: uppo72]  
driver Offline
stranger
driver  Offline
stranger

Thank you uppo72....Is there a building code on how much space there has to be between the elevator cab's roof and and the ceiling of the shaft once the elevator is sitting at the very top floor, or does it vary from building to building?

#10103 - 03/16/14 01:18 AM Re: Scenario based technical question [Re: driver]  
sbrmilitia Offline
addict
sbrmilitia  Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: driver
Thank you uppo72....Is there a building code on how much space there has to be between the elevator cab's roof and and the ceiling of the shaft once the elevator is sitting at the very top floor, or does it vary from building to building?

When your counterweight is fully buffered out there has tp be enough room for the top of the cab not to hit any of the deflector sheaves in the overhead. Every building is different I've had buildings with huge overheads and then none at all.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit