Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 18 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,532
Posts36,953
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15888 - 01/18/16 02:58 PM Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation  
deanm11 Offline
stranger
deanm11  Offline
stranger

I apologize in advance for the long story.

I go to a small church; we have a 5/6-yr old roped hydraulic elevator that gets very modest use. Maybe up & down 3-4 times a week.

I do most of the maintenance on the facilities in my spare time. My elevator maintenance company does a minimal inspect/lubricate twice a year by my contract. And then they have to have two guys present at my annual inspection.

I was present at the last annual inspection. I wasn't hovering over the guys; I was in the next room doing some other stuff. They spent about 30 minutes trying to make the overspeed/governor safety activate with no success. I got the impression we were still passing the inspection from the state inspector (New Jersey) but I guess what he meant was we could continue to operate. That day, the elevator maintenance co. said it should be no big deal to fix it. Then we got the write-up from the state inspector stating the fault on the governor. Ok, fine, I proceed to get ahead of things and get my elevator co. in to do the governor repair in plenty of time for the re-inspection which will no be at the semi-annual. (which normally doesn't require my co. to be there but will now)

I call to get them in to do the (supposed to be simple) repair and was told they have no idea what needs doing, they don't get the inspector's report, please send it. I do that and about a month later I get an email saying that basically the repairs were done that day & the faults are do to water damage (I am still dealing with keeping water out of the pit) and that will be taken care of with their October (pre-annual inspection) proposal. But that proposal was a $2800 bill to just scrape and paint the 'pit equipment' which I did myself before the annual inspection, rather than pay elevator repair labor rates for paint work. I immediately call and get put through to someone that is the service coordinator and after explaining the proposal was just paint work, he says the governor rope needs shortening. He's not sure when this was determined to be a needed repair but that he can see it in pictures(?) He reiterates that the governor safety activation issue is fixed. I call and after a few days speak with the state inspector who says, no, nothing was fixed that day. Otherwise there wouldn't have been a fail report.

So: If anyone can suggest a course of action? I am considering learning how to test the governor safety myself but it seems to be a two man job. I am not certain if the testing that day was simply manually swinging the counterweight but the inspector explained that this was one way of testing it. The "governor rope shortening" job is proposed at $2000.

Again, thank you for any advice.

Here are a few pictures of the unit:

[img:center]http://s234.photobucket.com/user/deanm11/media/015_2.jpg.html[/img]

[img:center]http://s234.photobucket.com/user/deanm11/media/016_2.jpg.html[/img]

[img:center]http://s234.photobucket.com/user/deanm11/media/017_2.jpg.html[/img]

[img:center]http://s234.photobucket.com/user/deanm11/media/020_2.jpg.html[/img]

#15889 - 01/18/16 06:45 PM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: deanm11]  
jkh Offline
4 Ever Learning.
jkh  Offline
4 Ever Learning.

Although I appreciate your concern, learning to perform the test does not ensure an inspector will allow you to do so.

I'm sure you are competent at what you do. And it sounds like you are completely frustraighted with your current service provider.

The red (orange?) wheel in your picture is the governor tension weight. Is it moving freely? It appears to be hanging well.

If you are dissatisfied with your current company, call another company or ask your inspector to recommend three other companies.

Not all companies & customers are a good fit for each other...

#15893 - 01/18/16 11:07 PM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: jkh]  
Boa Offline
Boa  Offline

NC
I agree with jkh. The item in the pic is the tension weight, if it spins freely and moves up and down in it's guide freely it is probably good. Judging by the color of the cable, the cable may need replacing. If they couldn't get the gov to set, most probably it's the flyweights on the governor. Most places require trained elevator men to perform the tests, safety reasons, and if you lost faith with the company the easiest thing is to get a second opinion or search for another company

#15894 - 01/19/16 01:28 AM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: Boa]  
deanm11 Offline
stranger
deanm11  Offline
stranger

Thank you jkh, Boa.

I was only considering evaluating testing the governor myself, simply to ascertain readiness for inspection, since I think my company is wrong about it. I will get a look at the unit again soon but the 'wheel' just seems to be a fixed in place pulley to me? In the new near $2000 proposal, it is said "the overspeed governor rope has stretched and requires shortening" I'm pretty sure this has been kind of trumped up. If I was totally sure, I would switch companies without thinking about it. The lingering doubt is what puts me in a conundrum. I need a governor fixed to pass my inspection, the inspection itself costing a minimum of $400 and my company wants to fix something different. So with or without spending $2k with them, I expect to fail again and either have an elevator put our of service, fines for a second fail, or at least the cost of another resinspection. Thank you again for the advice.

#15897 - 01/19/16 03:25 AM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: deanm11]  
uppo72 Offline
addict
uppo72  Offline
addict

This is my ideas just from the basic pic's, but done take this as gospel.The pic's are showing the tension carriage for the governor rope. The rope does appear to have some very minor kinks and showing some orange tinges so it may be the start of rust. If so the rope does need replacing. As to tension (of which these kinks then may be ok), if you notice the centre bolt in the middle of the tension diverter sheave, is the floating point for the whole system and is supposed to float or move up and down. You have painted the area, so check and make sure this can move and is free and maybe lube it with grease. The black weights are supposed to regulate this float. With the bolt in the centre of opening and with the rope a little loose, the rope may need shortening. As to get the unit to over speed, I don't think you will be able to do that, but we have had a switch on the controller(not sure on this equipment) to trigger the fly ball action on the governor to activate this, to test everything. In my experience these governors get actioned by bouncing of the lift or governor rope sticking and lifting.

Last edited by uppo72; 01/19/16 03:28 AM.
#15906 - 01/19/16 07:30 PM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: uppo72]  
jkh Offline
4 Ever Learning.
jkh  Offline
4 Ever Learning.

Dean,
If you can take a picture of the governor that would be great. Many of this style elevator use a governor that allows us to overspeed it at the governor. A picture will tell.

Make good choices,

JKH
#15917 - 01/21/16 02:29 AM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: jkh]  
deanm11 Offline
stranger
deanm11  Offline
stranger

Thank you for the additional replies. jkh, I will get some closer pictures on Saturday. Do you mean low by what I was considering a pulley? I'll get a good compliment of pictures and post initially the ones I best determine are relevant, and can post additional ones if I've haven't got what is needed.

#15947 - 01/24/16 10:31 PM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: deanm11]  
deanm11 Offline
stranger
deanm11  Offline
stranger

#15948 - 01/24/16 11:11 PM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: deanm11]  
uppo72 Offline
addict
uppo72  Offline
addict

Dean most of the equipment in those photos relate to the hoisting ropes on the acceding ram, and the safety gear. You need to show the governor at the top of the shaft, but maybe you cant safely. Don't do any thing unsafe or what you aren't qualified to do.

#15949 - 01/25/16 02:49 AM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: uppo72]  
deanm11 Offline
stranger
deanm11  Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: uppo72
Dean most of the equipment in those photos relate to the hoisting ropes on the acceding ram, and the safety gear. You need to show the governor at the top of the shaft, but maybe you cant safely. Don't do any thing unsafe or what you aren't qualified to do.

Understood, thank you for explaining. I thought the 10kg weight at the bottom was related to the governor/overspeed mechanism. I will try to determine why next steps in getting this unit ready for re-inspection.

#15956 - 01/25/16 10:39 PM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: deanm11]  
uppo72 Offline
addict
uppo72  Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: deanm11
Originally Posted By: uppo72

Understood, thank you for explaining. I thought the 10kg weight at the bottom was related to the governor/overspeed mechanism. I will try to determine why next steps in getting this unit ready for re-inspection.

Actually the governor diverter sheave is related to the overspeed operation, but the latest photos near the ram and underneath the lift car are related to safety gear( which is related to the overspeed operation) and a bit about the hoisting rope. But lets simplify the issue. What I meant was the actual governor would be at the top of the shaft and that is what is determines how the lift over speeds.

Last edited by uppo72; 01/25/16 10:41 PM.
#15957 - 01/26/16 12:03 AM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: uppo72]  
elmcannic Offline
addict
elmcannic  Offline
addict

S. Central Utah
Or quite simply, the other "wheel" at the top, which carries the rope over and then back down. It should have some mechanical/centrifugal properties as well as electrical connections. The "orange wheel" at the bottom most likely has a switch that opens (and ceases all operation of the lift) when the wheel drops too low, due to rope stretch. But all that nice white paint may prohibit that action.
Awaiting more photos!

#15985 - 01/28/16 03:25 AM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: elmcannic]  
deanm11 Offline
stranger
deanm11  Offline
stranger

#16001 - 01/30/16 05:48 AM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: deanm11]  
elmcannic Offline
addict
elmcannic  Offline
addict

S. Central Utah
We'll just " hang in there for awhile" and check back.

#16002 - 01/30/16 02:34 PM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: elmcannic]  
deanm11 Offline
stranger
deanm11  Offline
stranger

Were the new 9 photos not helpful? let me know what else I can do. I'm safe and comfortable on top of the car.

#16003 - 01/30/16 06:40 PM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: deanm11]  
jkh Offline
4 Ever Learning.
jkh  Offline
4 Ever Learning.

Dean,
The governor is as I suspected. The governor model on your unit is not equipped with a secondary sheave. The secondary sheave allows you to overspeed the governor.

In your first post, you said your current service provider was try to overspeed the elevator. My question is how did they do this on the prior tests?

Make good choices,

JKH
#16005 - 01/30/16 08:16 PM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: jkh]  
DripCan Offline
DripCan  Offline

am I missing something here like no electrical switch on gov.An is this gov like the Apollo were cable gets pinched into groove to pull out safety's.

#16007 - 01/30/16 09:56 PM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: DripCan]  
uppo72 Offline
addict
uppo72  Offline
addict

That governor looks like a dumb waiter type. No electrical trip as it appears to only activate the instantaneous safety gear. The tiller rope attached to the governor rope will trigger the action. Either way unless you happen to get the pump unit to massively over speed I cant see how it will trigger an overspeed situation. You may be able to test that the action works by lifting the roller high enough by another means ie an attached small rope linkage, whilst the lift is moving.

#16008 - 01/30/16 10:00 PM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: jkh]  
uppo72 Offline
addict
uppo72  Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: jkh
Dean,
The governor is as I suspected. The governor model on your unit is not equipped with a secondary sheave. The secondary sheave allows you to overspeed the governor.

In your first post, you said your current service provider was try to overspeed the elevator. My question is how did they do this on the prior tests?

JKH, the secondary sheave your talking about, is this a method to trigger a overspeed action? Got a picture?

#16010 - 01/31/16 01:35 AM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: uppo72]  
DripCan Offline
DripCan  Offline

I have over speed a roped hydro by first spinning gov to get speeds then take to top floor an send down turn down speed on valve to get to set you be surprised how fast it will set.hopefully they don't have rupture valve in pit.

Last edited by DripCan; 01/31/16 01:37 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit